July 25, 2013

A Funny drive from Chennai to Coimbatore



That was my second time to Chennai.  I went for an interview. Whenever I go there, I stay with my friend. As usual, that company was not that lucky to have me. To tell the truth, I go there to spend time with my lovable friend, with interview as a pretext. That night I was supposed to return to Coimbatore to attend another interview the next day. Late that day, my friend informed me that she got her pre-engagement function the next morning, so she would travel with me till Salem.

            We reached Koimbed Bus stand by auto. We got into a bus at the earliest possible, as it was already late.  It was two seated semi-sleeper bus. I carried a single laptop knapsack, which I kept down between my legs and my friend carried two bags with her. So I helped her to keep one bag that holds her function Saree and jewels on the top and another laptop bag below her legs.  We shared the dinner (biscuit) and at the meantime, the bus was on track. After a long chat about our old networks, we both fell asleep. It will take 6 hours to reach Salem. As we started by 10.30 PM, we would reach Salem around 4.30 AM.

            When I opened my eyes, it was early morning and I could see the sunrise, since I was sitting in the window seat I can easily see the bright sun and I could feel the fresh breeze. I guessed it should be 6.00 AM and looked into my watch; yes it was 6.10 AM already.  I glanced my near seat. To my shock, my friend was still sleeping. I am used with the road driving from Salem to Coimbatore, I've traveled through it a lot. I just browsed through the window and found that we have crossed Salem 2 hours back. Again I turned back to my friend and woke her up.

She opened her eyes asking “What’s your problem?”

I replied her “Its 6.30 AM”

“So what?”

I screamed, “Hey!  We have crossed Salem!”

“Don’t be funny, Sleep…”

 “Really we crossed Salem, before 2 hours”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes I am. We have just crossed Perundhurai”

“What!  Perundhurai? Hey, please tell me exactly where we are”

            Then I showed her a board showing Perundhurai with a left turn arrow. Actually, Perundhurai is the second stop from Salem. In between, we have another town, Erode. She was confused. She has the function at her home by 10.00 AM. As I am aware, the next drop point of the bus is Karumathampatti which is 30 KM away from Coimbatore. In the meanwhile, I saw a Tollgate some 200 m away from us. Moreover, I was sure that the bus would stop there at least for a minute or two. I just asked her to get ready with her bags, once the bus stops she can get down there and get a bus that drives towards Salem. As it was a very good idea, she took her two bags and rushed towards the door. I saw her getting down from the bus and she walked to the other side of the road and caught a bus to Salem.  My travel towards the destination resumed.  I had a telephone call from my friend.

“Hi dear, I saw you getting into the bus. Reach safe”, I said

“Yeah, I got bus. But there is a problem”, she said

“Problem? What’s that?” I asked.

            Within hearing her voice lot of imaginary problems where running into my mind. “She got into a wrong bus”. “Her pre-engagement function is cancelled”. “She doesn't have money to take bus ticket”. “She felt sick”. “Her parents scolded her”. When my mind was portraying my problem I heard, “Hey! I've taken someone else’s bag from the bus. The bag holds a laptop and a pair of shoes, I’m afraid”

“What? You took someone else’s bag? Check again”, I yelled

“I checked it’s not my bag. My bag is still lying there in that bus”, she said

 “What’s the color of the bag?” I asked

“Dark green, also I kept my saree and jewels in that bag. I can’t go home without that bag, help me”, she said in a low voice

In the meanwhile, I found the bag and checked for the things inside. Yes, she was right. It’s her bag. But whose was the one which she took. With a big query in my mind, I disconnected the call saying her, “Will call in 5 minutes

I glanced at the persons in the nearby seat. The one sitting in the before seat was awake and was peeping through the window. The person who was sitting in the opposite seat was in a deep sleep. Back to that, I saw a friend in deep discussion. Back to my seat I found a couple eating something. My eyes again rolled back to the person at the side, he opened his eyes and found I was watching him. He got up wiped his eyes and looked at me again. I gave a dirty smile and he reverted the same. I thought he would be the comfortable person to ask for a help.

I started, “Hi (Awkward smile)”

“Hi (Wide Open Smile)”, he replied

I don’t know how to initiate the problem. And within he closed his eyes again I started, “You know my friend, who was sitting near me got down in the before stop”

“Ok!”  He exclaimed

“She got down with someone else’s bag. I will get down in the next stop to return her bag. If anyone is searching for their bag in the bus stand please give my mobile number, I will help them to get back their bag”, I said

“Excuse me mam!” he started searching something on the top. After sometime he screamed, “Mam that is my bag. My laptop is there inside, I have a meeting today. Please help me”

“Is that your bag? Please don’t worry sir. Note down my mobile number, I will get back your bag for sure.  Please believe me”, I requested him

I shared my mobile number with him. Meanwhile I called my friend and asked her to send the bag in a Coimbatore bus when she gets down at Erode. Also, I informed her that she will receive her bag in another 2 hours.

“Mam I have a meeting by 12.00 PM. Will I get my laptop within that”, he requested me

“Don’t worry sir. My friend had already sent your bag in a bus”. I added, “I will get down in Karumathampatti to send her bag”

            I also shared the bus number, bus name and the driver number to raise his confidence. I gave him a promise that I will return his bag for sure and got down from the bus with two bags. Once I got down I directly walked to a nearby ATM, since I dint had any amount with me in hand. I took out Rs.1000 from ATM and crossed the road to search for a Salem bus. Finally I got one; I ran to the driver and handed over the bag with some money. Again I crossed the road and took bus to Coimbatore. I reached my friend’s place by 10.00 AM. My interview was scheduled by 2.00 PM. So I thought I can sleep for some time. Before sleeping I checked with my friend whether she collected her bag from the bus. She informed me that her bag is safe and she is getting ready for the function.

            I heard my phone ringing. I opened my eyes slowly and looked into my mobile, I stored his number as “Bus Guy”.

“Hi Mam”, he said

“Hi sir, have you collected your bag?” I asked him

“Mam, I am in Thiruvalluvar bus stand. I enquired many people over here and no one gave me a clear idea where I can find the bus” he said

“That bus will come to the out station bus stand sir” I said

“Oh. Ok mam. I will check with the driver and call you back” he said and disconnected the call

            I woke up after sometime and got ready to attend the interview. It took nearly one hour to reach the company. I did my interview well and came out of the company after an hour. Once I came out of the company I checked my mobile for any missed call. In the mean time I got a call from “Bus Guy”. It was 4.00 PM when I got the call.

            “Hi!! Mam. Finally I collected my bag from the bus. I came from Chennai for a Business meet, but I cancelled the meeting today since my laptop was not available. I have postponed the meeting for tomorrow. For your information, I am standing in the bus stand from morning 10.00 AM waiting for the bus. I received my bag in the second trip of the bus. Also I dint even take bath yet mam. Anyhow thanks for your help” he gave a long description.

“Sorry Sir”, I replied

“It wasn't your mistake. Kindly inform your friend about things happened today for me”, he said

“Thank you Mam”, he disconnected the call

            Once the call was disconnected I was still in a surprise that how come a person can be this much respective and humble even in a situation like this. I shared this situation with many of my friends and asked about their feel if they would have been in that place. I got a similar reply from everyone.

“I WOULDN'T HAVE BEHAVED A HUMAN”



3 comments:

Koki :) said...

heard a hell lottt of time.. still feel it fresh(like the way u felt the morning breeze @6:00AM :P ) whenever i hear it..!!

madhava said...

koki's comment.. thaanga mudiyala.. evlo adichalum thaangraanga

Unknown said...

Dear...... really wonderful narration of wat had happened. I survived tat day bcz of my love (U) an unforgettable day in my life.. as always, u r there to protect, save, love, to care.... always.... no words, missing ur presence every moment :( love u loads not only bcz of this incident but without any reasons. again thanks and sorry to "Bus Guy"